The most important part of any new dog collar purchase is ensuring that you have the proper fit. Too loose and your dog could slip out of the collar, too tight and you could risk choking your furry friend. This post will help you measure your dog to ensure that your Nauticollar keeps your pup safe, secure, and (of course) comfortable.
How to Measure a Dog's Neck for a Collar
- To start, find a flexible (tailor's) tape measure. If you don't have a flexible table measure available, a piece of string, rope, or even a phone charging cable will work.
- Wrap the tape measure (or other measure device) around the thickest part of your dog's neck (for smaller dogs, this will usually be about 1-2" below the ear - for larger dogs, this will be 3-4" (possibly more) below the ear). Be sure to mark the point where the tape measure overlaps. When wrapping the tape measure around the dog's neck, you should be able to comfortably slip two fingers under the collar. (Note: if you were using a string, rope, or other measure device, lay it flat, stretch it tight, and then measure it with a ruler to get the proper measurement.)
- Adjust the collar to match the measured distance. Note: when measuring a collar with a buckle, you should measure from the inside of the male connector (where the fabric meets the buckle, NOT the tip of the prongs) and the tip of the buckle on the female side.
- Put the collar on your dog and verify a proper fit. The collar should be snug, but not too snug. You should be able to comfortably slip two fingers under the collar.
Dog Collar Sizing Tips
- You should regularly check the sizing on your dog's collar. This is especially important if you have a puppy who is growing rapidly. Additionally, sometimes when dogs play, they pull on one another's collars, this can sometimes cause unintentional adjustments.
- Lots of treats can make the measuring process much easier :)
Dog Collar Sizing Chart
To help make this process, and your buying decision, easier, you will find the following dog collar sizing chart for our Nauticollar nautical dog collars on every product page:
Now that you know how to properly size the collars, pick out your perfect Nautical dog collar.